Decision in case 342/2019/MMO on the European Parliament’s alleged failure to fully reimburse a journalist for the travel expenses he incurred in order to participate in a seminar on ‘Research and Innovation’
Affaire 342/2019/MMO - Ouvert le Lundi | 18 mars 2019 - Décision le Mardi | 23 avril 2019 - Institution concernée Parlement européen (Affaire réglée par l'institution )
1. On 21 February 2019, the European Ombudsman (“the Ombudsman”) received a complaint concerning the European Parliament’s (“Parliament”) failure to reimburse in full the complainant for the expenses he incurred in order to participate in a seminar on ‘Research and Innovation’.
2. The seminar was organised by Parliament’s General Directorate for Communication and it took place in Brussels on 27 November 2018 and the complainant was invited to participate. Despite having had submitted all necessary documents for his reimbursement and having contacted the Parliament on the matter in December 2018 and in January 2019, the complainant had not received the amount corresponding to his travel expenses.
3. The Ombudsman’s inquiry team contacted Parliament on 18 March 2019 requesting the institution to look into the matter and seek to resolve it as soon as possible.
4. Parliament informed the complainant on 2 April 2019 that it had paid the outstanding amount. The following day, the complainant confirmed that he had received it.
5. As the complainant has now been fully reimbursed, this complaint is resolved and the case is hereby closed.
Head of Inquiries and ICT - Unit 1