European Year of Citizens 2013 - "It's our Europe: Let's get active!"
Host: European Parliament
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Interactive event, organised by the European Ombudsman
23 April 2013, 09.30-12.30
European Parliament, Brussels, József Antall Building, room 2Q2
The European Ombudsman, P. Nikiforos Diamandouros, is organising this event to help focus on European citizens and how they can concretely contribute to shaping the European Union, either by using the European Citizens' Initiative (ECI), by turning to the European Ombudsman, or by mobilising large groups of citizens to carry out grassroots initiatives.
The Ombudsman will be joined by the following top-level EU political figures to listen to, and engage with, European citizens:
- Martin Schulz, President of the European Parliament
- Viviane Reding, Vice-President of the European Commission
- Maroš Šefčovič, Vice-President of the European Commission
The programme will focus on two major themes:
09.30-11.00 Help solve the economic crisis
- Alessandra Mirabile, Fraternité 2020 ECI
- Marc Bertrand, Ombudsman of Wallonia and of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation
- Didier Caluwaerts, G1000 Belgian citizens' movement
11.00-12.30 Build a clean and healthy Europe
- Anne-Marie Perret, Right to Water ECI
- Peter C. Gøtzsche, Campaigner for medical data transparency
- Rainer Nõlvak, Let's do it! World Cleanup
Moderator: Chris Burns, Euronews
Video on Demand
You can (re-)watch the event below or by following this link to the European Parliament website.