Call for expression of interest for the recruitment of a Press Officer - Temporary post - AD5 - OMB/3/2015
Document - Date Thursday | 19 March 2015
The European Ombudsman is looking for a dynamic and highly motivated journalist to strengthen her Media and External Relations Unit in Brussels. The Ombudsman offers a temporary post as a press officer in a great team of communication experts who are keen to deliver the Ombudsman's strategic objectives of visibility, impact and relevance. If your English is at mother-tongue level, you are looking to work in a multicultural team and ideally you are reporting in English on EU affairs, you might be the one.
The European Ombudsman
The European Ombudsman seeks fair outcomes to complaints against European Union institutions, encourages transparency, and promotes an administrative culture of service. She aims to build trust through dialogue between citizens and the European Union and to foster the highest standards of behaviour in the Union's institutions.
Our guiding principles: Integrity, Fairness, Accountability, Dialogue, and Service.
The European Ombudsman is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from qualified men and women and does not discriminate on the basis of, among others, age, disability, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
1. Purpose of the call for expression of interest
The European Ombudsman is organising a selection procedure in order to draw up a reserve list of candidates for the position of Press Officer. The candidates selected at the end of the selection procedure will be placed on a reserve list consisting of a maximum of three candidates. The reserve list will be valid for two years and its validity may be extended.
2. Place of employment
The place of employment is Brussels.
The recruited candidate may be reassigned to the European Ombudsman's office in Strasbourg and her/his tasks may involve missions within the European Union and beyond.
3. Conditions of employment
The candidate selected from the reserve list will be engaged as a temporary agent of AD 5 grade under a contract of definite duration of one year, renewable once for a fixed period. Any further renewal shall be for an indefinite duration.
4. Nature of the tasks
The Media and External Relations Unit has the specific task to focus on the European Ombudsman's strategic media and outreach goals with a view to increasing the Ombudsman's visibility, impact and relevance within the European Union and with stakeholders.
Under the supervision of the Secretary General and the Head of Unit "Media and External Relations Unit", the Press Officer is responsible for:
● Assisting the Head of Unit in developing the Ombudsman's media and external relations strategy;
● English language drafting of press releases, articles, replies to interviews, background briefings and other texts for the Unit's media and outreach work;
● Replying to requests from journalists, other stakeholders and the public;
● Helping to identify and to communicate key cases and messages to target audiences in order to help deliver the Ombudsman's strategic objectives;
● Helping to organise press conferences, briefings and other events for journalists and other stakeholders.
The Press officer in the Ombudsman's office should fulfil the following conditions:
(a) Minimum conditions
1. possess citizenship of the European Union;
2. enjoy full rights as a citizen;
3. have fulfilled any obligations imposed on them by the laws on military service;
4. possess a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
5. produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Union and of a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Union to the extent necessary for the performance of his/her duties.
(b) Specific conditions
(i) Knowledge required
● Extensive knowledge of the EU's media landscape;
● Excellent knowledge of current EU policies and developments;
● Good knowledge of social media channels;
● Good knowledge of the EU institutions;
● Excellent ability to identify, define and communicate key messages and news to different audiences;
● Excellent communicator in writing and orally;
● Ability to explain complex issues in plain language;
● Ability to undertake research and to deliver results quickly and of a high quality;
● Ability to prioritise work;
● Excellent team-player;
● Good organisational skills to help planning and implementing the European Ombudsman's strategic events, press conferences and meetings;
● Confident public speaker;
● Ability to work under tight deadlines;
● Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
● Mother-tongue equivalent knowledge of English is required;
● Knowledge of additional official languages of the European Union would be an advantage.
(iv) Professional experience
No specific professional experience is required. However candidates should, ideally, have proven experience (within the last five years) working as a journalist reporting on EU affairs in English.
Previous experience as a press officer in an EU institution would also be an advantage.
6. Deadline for submitting applications
Applications must refer to the call for expression of interest ref: OMB/03/2015 - Press Officer and must be sent by registered mail to the address indicated below. The date of posting of the application shall be 20 April 2015 at the latest. Applications posted after 20 April 2015 shall be deemed inadmissible.
European Ombudsman's Office
Personnel, Administration, and Budget Unit
Call for expression of interest OMB/03/2015
1, avenue du Président Robert Schuman
67001 Strasbourg Cedex
Applications must include:
a) A duly filled in application form, which can be found on the European Ombudsman's website at the following address: http://ombudsman.europa.eu/vacancy;
b) a letter explaining the candidate's reasons for applying;
c) a copy of the candidate's curriculum vitae in English (preferably a Europass CV: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu);
d) a copy of a document proving the applicant's citizenship;
e) a copy of the diploma which satisfies the requirements set out in Section 5(a) of the present call for expression of interest;
f) copies of media articles written in English on EU issues within the past five years;
g) in case candidates have acquired professional experience, copies of evidence of professional experience (such as a contract or a signed attestation by the employer) for each position, clearly indicating the starting and finishing dates, the job title, and the exact nature of the duties carried out;
h) a numbered list of all the supporting documents.
The copies mentioned above do not need to be certified. Since the documents will not be returned to the candidates, the submission of original documents should be avoided.
Incomplete applications will be excluded from the selection.
a) Applications posted after that closing date set out above shall be deemed inadmissible.
b) Applications sent within the closing date will be examined by a Selection Committee to be appointed by the European Ombudsman in order to determine whether candidates fulfil (and have submitted the required evidence that they fulfil) the first and the fourth of the minimum conditions for eligibility set out in Section 5(a) of this call for expression of interest. Candidates who do not fulfil (or who have failed to submit the required evidence that they fulfil) these minimum conditions, shall be excluded. Only the candidate who will actually be recruited will be asked to provide information confirming that she or he fulfils the second and the third of the minimum conditions for eligibility.
c) Eligible applications will be assessed by the Selection Committee on the basis of candidates' qualifications and examples of articles they have written in English on EU issues, in order to draw up a shortlist of the most suitable candidates.
d) The candidates on this shortlist will be invited to an interview in order for the Selection Committee to evaluate the candidates' profile, knowledge and skills and to draw up a reserve list of a maximum of three laureates.
Candidates will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of their applications. Those candidates whose applications are deemed to be inadmissible or who do not fulfil the minimum conditions for eligibility will be informed as soon as possible.
Candidates whose applications are admissible and who fulfil the minimum conditions for eligibility will be informed about whether their name has been included in the shortlist of the most suitable candidates as soon as such a shortlist has been drawn up.
 The processing of personal data by the European Ombudsman is governed by Regulation (EC) No. 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data, OJ 2001 L 8, p. 1. By submitting an application for a post within the European Ombudsman's Office, candidates are understood to have given their consent, within the meaning of Article 5(d) of the Regulation, to the processing of the personal data contained in the application and the supporting documents enclosed therewith. The personal data in question are collected by the European Ombudsman's Office for the sole purpose of the present selection procedure. Candidates have a right to access and to rectify their own personal data kept by the European Ombudsman's Office.
Personal data concerning unsuccessful candidates shall be destroyed two years after the reserve list has expired. Applications submitted for the purposes of the present selection procedure shall not be taken into consideration for the purposes of future ones.
Personal data concerning the recruited candidates shall be kept by the European Ombudsman's Office and might be transferred to other Community Institutions for administrative purposes.
Candidates may at any time consult the European Ombudsman's Data Protection Officer or have recourse to the European Data Protection Supervisor.
 Please note that inclusion in the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment.